Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Starting

I'm not sure if you've ever had an idea that is not well fleshed out, that is still more of a concept or even a dream but still nevertheless is something that you believe is out there, perhaps presently out of reach, but out there.  So we're at a brainstorming stage, not a bring on the haters stage, just moving forward.    I really don't know what I'm doing, just found out you can't edit blogs after you post them, oh well.


But anyway --  doesn't Marketing surround us? One only need go to a mall to see applied branding, pricing strategies, clear segmentation and the fruits of research into consumer behaviour.  We can do better than the way we teach it now.


Our idea is to create a iPhone application that allows students to bridge that gap between the classroom and the "real world."  (I wish we never used that "real world" expression, it seems to celebrate that our educational process is so far removed from our day to day existence that it isn't even real!).  I've been researching a lot recently, particularly looking at the concept of using the same drivers that games utilize but in an educational context.


I'll also include some of the links that I've found particularly helpful.  Again, this is the start of a open ended process.  I hope to make this a collaborative process.  I hope anyone who reads this will not be coming with the mindset where your goal is to expose fault ("You've got a typo, someone has already tried this, this won't work, it doesn't make sense).  There are technical sources out-there to flesh out our ideas and make them work.  As long as we don't get too Star Trekky lets focus on the idea, the learning value and less on the technical execution. Right now the budget is $0.

Basic uses  (all would give points / badges and be tied into a grand leader board, they could also level up) ?  

Why the experts say that games (yes Xbox games, DS etc) play on motivators and drivers that help people learn better than traditional education.  

a.  They allow community building the weaving of tight social fabric, like people after playing them in a   game.   
b.  No unemployment in virtual worlds, people feel valued.
c.  Urgent optimism (always moving forward to create something) 
d.  Blissful productivity
e.  The ability to create meaning
f.  Competition 

The inventor of a FourSquare like application (a brilliant 23 year old College drop out named Seth P started it) 

http://www.scvngr.com/  -- He says the 4 drivers below are crucial:

1. The appointment dynamic  --- Farmville - where you have to go back to it to water your crops
2. Influence and status       
      3. Progression dynamic
      4. Communal Dynamic

      Real ideas could be???

1.  Polling in class or in the field (off the shelf IPhone applications for this – Thumbspeak)   -- consumer behaviour polling, preference polling, etc.  -- use 

2.  Possible business simulation (no off the shelf iPhone applications for this that I see) they could develop a marketing plan based on data they would be sent and there would be “right” answers that would give them points.   Algorithm?

3.  Situational (Foursquare - GPS) relevant quizzing  (you come to a certain store and it asks you questions. This could incorporate the appeal of a scavenger hunt) Foursquare calls it “checking in”

4.  Self-assessment  -- this is triggered polling to gage reactions to products or experiences in the field.  Marketers do this as they find that quick responses (taken immediately) are much more accurate than hindsight appeals. This can get into the heavy psychology.

5.  Giving them virtual wallets for pricing sensitivity analysis

     Crowd sourcing?

     Some excellent video or articles are included below.
   
     http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world.html



Building a game world on top of the world SCVNGR (Scavenger game)
http://www.ted.com/talks/seth_priebatsch_the_game_layer_on_top_of_the_world.html

http://www.sbaer.uca.edu/research/allied/2005vegas/mktg studies/8.pdf


(Remember how we tell student to never, ever use Wikipedia . .)  See below. 


Comments?

Gamification is the use of game play mechanics[1] for non-game applications (also known as "funware")[2], particularly consumer-oriented web and mobile sites, in order to encourage people to adopt the applications. It also strives to encourage users to engage in desired behaviors in connection with the applications.[3] Gamification works by making technology more engaging,[4] and by encouraging desired behaviors, taking advantage of humans' psychological predisposition to engage in gaming. The technique can encourage people to perform chores that they ordinarily consider boring, such as completing surveys, shopping, or reading web sites.[4]

Contents

 [hide]

[edit]Techniques

Early examples of gamifications are based on rewarding points to people who share experiences on location-based platforms such as Facebook's "Place" feature, Foursquare (social network), and Gowalla.[5] Some of the techniques include:
  • achievement "badges"
  • achievement levels
  • "leader boards"
  • a progress bar or other visual meter to indicate how close people are to completing a task a company is trying to encourage, such as completing a social networking profile or earning a frequent shopper loyalty award.[6]
  • virtual currency
  • systems for awarding, redeeming, trading, gifting, and otherwise exchanging points
  • challenges between users
  • embedding small casual games within other activities.[4]

One more thing.  

The first reaction that I hear from students when I talk about extra research or use that dreaded concept of "supplementary" materials is "is it for marks?"  

Yes, the reward system of marks is hardwired into students.  My hope is that this learning application would somehow not be for marks, that it have enough inherent value and that it present enough intrinsic motivators (as opposed to grades which are extrinsic) that students want to do it.  I think that when students start viewing things through "what do I need to to do to get marks for this" and not "why do I care, what does it mean etc." that they are not really in the best position to be learning.  

Ironically, they are gaming the educational system.  Can students be persuaded to do anything, to use this ill-described, not well thought out, vague iPhone application without getting bonus credit?  I think so. How, I don't know. Tell me. 

Paul

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was thinking of something along the lines of the iClicker, incorporated in some classes. An iPhone/Blackberry application could sell for a fraction of the price and most likely sell fairly well. Students can use a 'username' and compete against their fellow classmates to gain leadership. Points for participation, correct answers, bonus multipliers for multiple correct answers in a row, etc. Also, daily tips, quizzes, or other tricks to enhance the student's learning of the subject could be incorporated into the application. It could make the classes more fun, as well as give the students something to aim for each class rather than information that will slip their mind the second they exit the classroom.